Use Bowdabra’s Hair Bow Making Tutorial to make a patriotic hair bow for Memorial Day, 4th of July, or anytime you are in the red, white, & blue spirit.
Hair Bow Tool and Ruler
9” of Red Marabou
2 strips of 6” Dovetailed White Grosgrain
1 strip of 22” Blue Grosgrain Dovetailed
1. Begin by gathering your materials. You will need a Mini Bowdabra, Bowdabra Hair Bow Tool and Ruler, and Bowdabra Bow Wire.
2. Place the Bowdabra ® Hair Bow Tool and Ruler onto the Mini Bowdabra, leaving a space at the bottom for the Mini Bowdabra tower to move. Cut an 18” piece of Bowdabra Bow Wire and fold it in half. Lay it into the Mini Bowdabra. You’ll have a loop at one end and two loose pieces at the opposite end.
3. Lay one end of marabou into the center of the Mini Bowdabra.
5. Cut 2 strips of 6” Dovetailed White Grosgrain. To dovetail both ends of the ribbon: fold the ribbon in half lengthwise. Position your scissors at the folded edge of the ribbon and cut the end at a 45 ° angle. Unfold your ribbon and you have a professional, finished look to your ribbon tails.
6. Fold each dovetailed strip in half. At the center point place each strip into the center of the Mini Bowdabra at an angle.
7. Finish the 4th of July Bow with a Boutique Bow with Dovetails. Cut a strip 22” long and dovetail the ends. Fold the ribbon in half to find the center point. Make a crease in the center. Place the ribbon at the crease mark down into the center of the Mini Bowdabra.
8. . Grab one end of the ribbon and crease the ribbon into the Mini Bowdabra leaving a 2” tail, pointing down.
9. Grab the ribbon on the other side of the Mini Bowdabra tower. Fold over the first ribbon loop and down into the center of the Mini Bowdabra, leaving a 2” tail, pointing up. The two ribbons will form an X on the top of the Mini Bowdabra towers.
10. Using the Hair Bow Tool and Ruler as your guide position all four loops evenly and symmetrically. Start with the bottom loop and make a crease in the center and press into the Mini Bowdabra. Then take the top loop and make a crease in the center of it, as well, press into the Mini Bowdabra.
11. Scrunch down the ribbon with the Bowdabra Wand.
12. While the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra, thread the two loose ends of the Mini Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end.
13. Pull the Bowdabra Bow Wire tightly while the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra.
14. Gently pull the bow out of the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the Bowdabra
Bow Wire and bring them around to the back of the bow and knot.
15. Bring the Bowdabra Bow Wire back to the front and attach a star button.
16. Bring the Bowdabra Bow Wire to the back and tie it onto a white headband. Tie the Bowdabra Bow Wire back on the top of the bow and trim away the excess wire.
The Hair Bow Tool and Ruler easily fits over the Mini Bowdabra. Bowdabra Ribbons Crafts & Things Store sells the items individually or you can purchase the Hair Bow Creator Pack which comes with the Mini Bowdabra, Hair Bow Tool, & Ribbon.