Create a pine cone and ribbon french hair clip using our Bowdabra blog tutorial. This is a unique hair clip that I have been thinking about making for several weeks. I wanted a hair clip that I could wear in my hair for fall and also a style that I could give as a hostess gift for Thanksgiving. I wanted the hair clip to be festive and a hair accessory that a grown woman could pull off. I am very happy with the results, I hope you enjoy this tutorial as much as I enjoyed designing it!
1. Begin with two small pine cones. I purchased an assortment at my local craft store.
2. Using the wire cutters (I grabbed mine from my husband’s work room) I cut the tip of the pine cone. The tip looks very similar to a small rose.
3. Next, I twisted and pulled the pine cone petals from the center. I used the wire cutters to trim up the ends of each pine cone petal.
4. Using DecoArt Clear Varnish I added a finish to the petals and the pine cone rose center.
5. While the pine cone parts dried I made a small bow for the clip. I placed the metric side of the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler onto the Mini Bowdabra. Then I cut 18″ of Bowdabra Bow Wire and placed it into the Mini Bowdabra.
6. I dovetailed the end of the ribbon and placed it into Mini Bowdabra at the 3cm mark. I then created 2cm loops on either side.
7. Then I cut a dovetail on the other side at the 3cm and scrunched the bow down with the Mini Bowdabra Wand.
8. While the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra, thread the two loose ends of the Mini Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end.
9. Pull the Bowdabra Bow Wire tightly while the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra.
10. Gently pull the bow out of the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire and bring them around to the back of the bow and knot. Trim away excess wire and add a finishing knot to the bow.
11. When the pine cone pieces are dry start to hot glue them onto the French clip. I started on either end.
12. I hot glued the pieces onto the clip and worked my way to the center.
13. To hide the ends of the pine cone petals I
place additional pine cone pieces face down onto the center of the clip.
14. I finished the hair clip by gluing the small bow and pine cone roses to the clip.