Looking for some last minute Thanksgiving craft ideas? A really fun Thanksgiving decoration is making turkeys using your children’s hand prints. We added an extra twist to this craft by inserting feathers into the fingers and adding a satin bow. Use the turkey hand-print decoration to hang on a door, mantle, or window to welcome Thanksgiving guests.
Check our Bowdabra Store to find the above supplies!
1. Using a marker trace your hand with fingers open wide. Cut hand print out.
2. Using a hole punch with a small tip hole, punch at the base of the fingers and in between the fingers. Thread the tip of the feathers through the holes. (Use a pin or tip of paper clip to make the hole as well.) Tape the feather points to the back of the hand.
3. Add a face to the turkey. Using a black marker draw on an eye, glue on a yellow beak, and add a red snood using rolled construction paper.
4. Tape a hanger onto the pointer finger of the turkey and run ribbon through the hanger.
5. To make the bow for the turkey hanger: Cut a 24” piece of Bowdabra Bow Wire and fold it in half. Lay it into the Mini Bowdabra. You’ll have a loop at one end and two loose pieces at the opposite end.
6. Cut a piece of ribbon to make bow tails. Dove-tail the ends of ribbon by folding your ribbon in half and cutting at a 45 degree angle.
7. Lay your ribbon into the Mini Bowdabra. Decide how big you want your loops. To make your first loop, fold the ribbon and press into the Mini Bowdabra.
8. Continue folding the ribbon back and forth until you have created as many loops as you desire.
9. Add another style of ribbon, to make your first loop, fold the ribbon and press into the Mini Bowdabra.
10. Continue folding the ribbon back and forth until you have created as many loops as you desire.
11. Scrunch ribbon down with the Mini Bowdabra Wand.
12. While the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra, thread the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end.
13. Pull the Bowdabra Bow Wire tightly while the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra.
14. Gently pull the bow out of the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire and bring them around to the back of the bow. To tie off the bow, pinch the Bowdabra Bow Wire securely against the bow. Twist the bow 4 to 6 times in a clockwise direction.
15. Fluff your bow.
16. Attach the bow to the ribbon strand, use the Bowdabra Bow Wire to hang your turkey.