Many of us who have pets think of them as family, so we like to give them a little something to open for Christmas too. Why not make your dog a festive Christmas bow tie so he can celebrate the special day with you?
A little note about the sizing of this project: My chihuahua is a very petite 4 pound dog, so the sizes for my bows are in proportion to my dog. If you have a small dog around this size, then follow the sizes given in the tutorial.
This bow can be adapted to fit any size dog. For larger dogs, just make larger loops and/or work with wider ribbon.
Don’t worry about making a collar that can only be worn for the holidays. This bow tie was designed to be removable, so it is easy to slide on a collar for Christmas. Then take it off to be used again next year. By changing the colors of this bow tie, your dog can have a whole collection of adorable dog collars all year long.
If you have both a male and female dog, they would be so cute wearing coordinating bows in the same colors. I had this in mind when I designed this bow and the Christmas Boutique Bow For Girl Dogs.
For a 3 inch wide Bow Tie, you’ll need: (See notes above about adjust the size for bigger dogs)
– 1 1/2 inch wide green grosgrain ribbon (cut 8 1/2 inches long)
– 1 inch wide red grosgrain ribbon (Small amount)
– 3/8 inch wide red and white gingham ribbon (Small amount)
– 2 clear mini ponytail holders for human girls
– Mini Bowdabra
– Hair Bow Tool And CD
– Bowdabra Wire
– Glue stick
– Hot Glue and Hot Glue Gun
– Your preferred method for sealing ribbon (fray check, clear nail polish, a lighter, or wood burning tool)
– A purchased dog collar
1. Cut a piece of Bowdabra Bow Wire 18 inches long. Fold in half and place in the Mini Bowdabra that has the hair bow tool on it.
2. After the green ribbon is cut to size and the ends are sealed, make a 3 inch wide Bow Tie Bow according to the instructions on the CD that comes with the Hair Bow Tool. To start, insert one end of the green ribbon into the Mini Bowdabra.
3. Fold the ribbon to the other side of the Mini Bowdabra, then insert the other end of the ribbon into the Mini Bowdabra. Basically the ribbon should look like a large “O” shape loop.
4. Press center of this large loop into the Mini Bowdabra. Adjust until each side of the bow is 1 1/2 inches long.
5. Scrunch down the red bow center with the Mini Bowdabra Wand.
6. Leave the bow in the Mini Bowdabra for now. Thread the 2 loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end. Pull the wire tightly so the bow will not fall apart, then remove from the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the wire and bring them around to the back of the bow. Knot once.
7. Slide 2 clear mini ponytail holders on one end of the wire. Knot both ends of wire in a double knot to secure ponytail holders tightly onto the bow. Clip all wire ends.
8. Using the glue stick attach the 3/8 inch wide plaid ribbon to the 1 inch wide solid red ribbon.
9. Cut red ribbon to size, wrap around green bow center and secure with hot glue.
10. Slide the finished bow onto the dog collar. Take one ponytail holder and wrap it around to the front of the bow, keeping it close to the bow center. Repeat for other ponytail holder if needed.
The Bow Tie is now ready for your dog to wear. For safety’s sake, remember a bow is like any other item of clothing your dog wears and should never be left unattended while wearing their bow.