Ribbon belts are a fun way to add versatility to an outfit. Just by adding a handmade inexpensive ribbon belt you can completely change your look. I created this ribbon belt tutorial because I wanted to add a fun spring flair to a simple black dress. I used ruffled ribbon layered with grosgrain and finished the ribbon belt with a Mini Bowdabra Bow.
1. Begin by cutting ribbon that will fit around your waist add 2inches so that you can hem the ribbon and add a button.
2. Sew the grosgrain ribbon on top of the ruffled ribbon. You can either hand-stitch or machine stitch the ribbons together. I chose a decorative stitch but a straight stitch would work, as well.
3. Hem the ends of the ribbon and add a button and buttonhole. Optional: You can add velcro or snaps instead of a button.
4. To create the bow for the belt place the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler onto the Mini Bowdabra. Cut 18? of Bowdabra Bow Wire and fold it in half and place it into the Mini Bowdabra.
5. Cut 4 pieces of netting, 2.5? long and point the ends. Place the netting one by one into the Mini Bowdabra.
6. Fold 3? wide light purple tulle into the Mini Bowdabra like an accordion. Scrunch down with the Mini Bowdabra Wand.
7. Place small purple flowers into the Mini Bowdabra. Scrunch down with the Mini Bowdabra Wand. While the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra, thread the two loose ends of the Mini Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end. Pull the Bowdabra Bow Wire tightly while the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra.
8. Gently pull the bow out of the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire and bring them around to the back of the bow and knot.
9. Fluff the bow.
Trim away excess Bowdabra Bow Wire and hand-stitch the bow onto the belt.
11. Your ribbon belt with bow is ready to be worn your favorite dress. Wear the bow in the front or off to the side.
Visit our Bowdabra Friend and Featured Blogger Holly of Mission Montana . Holly is celebrating the many uses of ribbon with matching bunny hair bows.
Join us for Bowdabra’s National Craft Month celebration for lots of great ways to enter in our month long giveaway. Contest begins March 1, 2012 and ends March 31, 2012 at midnight eastern time. Winners to be announce April 2, 2012 at http://bowdabra.wpengine.com