I am so excited to share this tutorial with you! Felt flowers designed for hair clips are a hot trend. However, when creating felt flowers you usually have to sew the felt pieces together. This tutorial explains how to create a felt bow without any sewing. Instead, you use the Mini Bowdabra to create creases and keep the felt pieces together. The result is a gorgeous felt flower that can be worn either on a hair clip or a headband.
1. Begin by cutting out petal pieces. Each pattern has two petals with a center. The center should be large enough to create a crease in the middle. Cut 3 pieces of felt from the large petals, 4 pieces of felt from the medium petals, and 4 pieces of felt from the small petals.
2. Next, place the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler onto the Mini Bowdabra. Cut 18? of Bowdabra Bow Wire and fold it in half and place it into the Mini Bowdabra.
3. Pinch the large petals in the center to create a crease.
4. Place the large felt pieces into the Mini Bowdabra.
5. Place the 4 of the medium size felt pieces into the Mini Bowdabra. Remember to crease the center before placing them down.
6. Next, add the 4 small pieces.
7. Scrunch down with the Mini Bowdabra Wand.
8. While the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra, thread the two loose ends of the Mini Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end.
9. Pull the Bowdabra Bow Wire tightly while the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra.
10. Gently pull the bow out of the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire and bring them around to the back of the bow and knot.
11. Use the Bowdabra Bow Wire to tie the felt flower to a headband. Tie the flower along the side. Trim away excess wire.
12. Optional: Add a small bow to the center of the felt flower. Place the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler onto the Mini Bowdabra (metric side). Cut 18? of Bowdabra Bow Wire and fold it in half. Place the wire into the Mini Bowdabra. Cut 3/8? satin ribbon 30cms long. Fold the ribbon in half. At the crease mark place it into the Mini Bowdabra. Fold the ribbon loops at the 2cm mark. Create 4 loops and leave the tails facing down.
13. Finish the bow, trim away excess wire, and hot glue a knotted finishing ribbon around the bow to hide the wire.
14. Hot glue the bow to the center of the felt flower. Attach rhinestones to the small petals. Either hot glue the rhinestones in place or use a rhinestone setter.
15. The felt bow headband is ready to be worn.
Join us for Bowdabra’s National Craft Month celebration for lots of great ways to enter in our month long giveaway. Contest begins March 1, 2012 and ends March 31, 2012 at midnight eastern time. Winners to be announce April 2, 2012