Ribbon Christmas trees are a very popular handmade craft this holiday season. Here is our Bowdabra version, I used ruffled ribbon, a cork tree trunk, and I finished it with a Mini Bowdabra bow. Decorate your home this Christmas with these festive ruffled ribbon Christmas trees or give them as a holiday gift!
Looking for another Ribbon Christmas Tree alternative? Here is a link for the grosgrain Christmas Tree tutorial that I made last year.
1. Begin with a large 9″ Styrofoam cone.
2. Next, using a craft cork twist a hole into the bottom of the Styrofoam.
3. Hot glue the cork into place.
4. Cut 3yds of green ruffled ribbon (ruffled should be on both sides).
5. Next, fold the ribbon so that the ruffles are layered on top of each other, iron all 3yds.
6. Attach the ribbon to the cone with a flat head pin along the bottom.
7. Start to wrap the ribbon around the cone. Slant the ribbon at an angle so that it doesn’t overlap the previous row.
8. Continue to wrap the ribbon around the cone till you are about 2″ from the top point.
9. Cut a 3″ piece of ironed ruffled ribbon. Wrap it around the point, with ruffles up. Tack in place with a flat head pin.
10. Finish wrapping the ruffled ribbon around the cone. Fold the end of ribbon in, tack it in place with a pin (inside of the fold).
11. The ruffled ribbon tree is complete.
12. To make the bow for the top of the Christmas Tree. Cut 18″ of Bowdabra Bow Wire, fold it in half, and place it into the Mini Bowdabra.
13. Cut 12″ of wire ribbon and dovetail the ends. Fold the ribbon in half, at the crease mark place it into the Mini Bowdabra.
14. Place the end of the wire ribbon into the Mini Bowdabra.
15. Fold the ribbon and press it into the Mini Bowdabra to create your first loop.
16. Continue fold and pressing the ribbon in the Mini Bowdabra to create a total of 6 loops. Finish with a small 7th finishing loop.
17. Scrunch down with the Mini Bowdabra Bow Wand.
18. While the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra, thread the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end.
19. Pull the Bowdabra Bow Wire tightly while the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra.
20. Gently pull the bow out of the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire and bring them around to the back of the bow. To tie off the bow, pinch the Bowdabra Bow Wire securely against the bow. Twist the bow 4 to 6 times in a clockwise direction.
21. Fluff the bow and use a pin to attach the bow to the t
op of the ruffled ribbon Christmas tree. Spiral the remaining Bowdabra Bow Wire with a pencil for fun ringlets.
22. Decorate your home this Christmas with ruffled ribbon trees or give them as a gift.