This week on the Bowdabra Blog we are all about the upcycle, recycle, and re-purpose when it comes to home decor. I found some great treasures on my recent trip to Goodwill and I thrilled to be able to share with you my upcycle projects.
One of the little treasures I found was a small wooden style dispenser. I am not sure what it exactly it dispensed but I knew immediately what I was going to use it for! My family has a love for ginger Altoids and I buy them in bulk. I thought this wooden style box would be perfect to hold them.
Using Antique Mod Podge, Martha Stewart cardstock , and a Mini Bowdabra Bow I was able to upcycle an adorable little candy holder.
1. Begin with a wooden home decor item. I bought a wooden dispenser at Goodwill for $1.99.
2. Gather Antique Matte Mod Podge and Martha Stewart cardstock – choice paper that will compliment your home decor project.
3. Apply the Antique Matte Mod Podge to the paper and the wooden box. Follow the instructions on the Mod Podge container. Let the wooden box fully dry.
4. Attach a strand of ribbon and hemp rope around the wooden box.
5. To make the Mini Bowdabra bow for the box: Place the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler onto the Mini Bowdabra. Cut 18″ of Bowdabra Bow Wire and fold it in half – place the wire into the Mini Bowdabra.
6. Place the ribbon end into the Mini Bowdabra.
7. Fold and press the ribbon at the 2″ mark to make your first loop.
8. Continue folding and press the ribbon at the 2″ mark(s) to make additional loops.
9. Press a hemp rope into the Mini Bowdabra. Fold a press the loops at the 1″ mark.
10. Continue folding and forming loops. Trim away excess hemp rope.
11. Scrunch down with the Mini Bowdabra Wand. Thread the two loose ends of the wire through the loop.
12. Pull the Bowdabra Bow Wire tightly.
13. Bring the wire around the back of the bow and tie it tightly.
14. Fluff the bow. Next, knot a piece of hemp rope and glue it around the wire to hide it.
15. Use the remaining Bowdabra Bow Wire to tie the bow to the ribbon. Trim away excess wire.
16. Display your upcycled wooden home decor piece and fill with candy or other goodies.