This is fun kids craft that everyone will enjoy! Learn to make a woven yarn headband using straws. Design the headband using your own choice of yarn colors and make it any length. Wear the headband by its self or clip a Bowdabra Bow to it.
For Bowdabra Hair Bow ideas we invite you to visit our huge collection of bow making tutorials.
1. Begin by cutting four pieces of yarn, the yarn pieces should be at least twice as long as you want your headband. I began with the yarn 26″ long. Then cut 4 pieces of straw, I cut mine about 1.75″ long.
2. Next, thread each of the straws onto the yarn. Knot each end of the yarn leaving about a 4″ tail on each end.
3. Cut a small thin strip of masking tape, tape the ends of the straws together to keep them in place. Begin to start to weave your yarn. Start with the yarn under your first straw.
4. Continue to weave the entire yarn. Please note I didn’t change colors I am just using a multiply colored yarn skein.
5. Weave till you get to the end of the straws.
5. Start to slide the woven straws down the yarn to the other knot.
6. Slide the woven yarn off the straws and firmly against the knot. Leave the yarn tails (from the beginning and the end) dangling loosely.
7. Slide the straws back up to the top knot weave the yarn again. Slide it back down and press the next woven yarn block against the first.
8. Leave the tails on each block of woven yarn.
9. Continue adding yarn until you have enough for a headband. Once you have enough untie the knot at the top and slide the straws off. Re-
knot the end very tight to the woven yarn. Trim away excess yarn tails. If it is woven tight enough you can trim away the tails without fraying. If you are worried about the yarn fraying or starting to come undone you can tack down each cut piece of yarn with a little Aleene’s Tacky Glue.
10. Attach an elastic to the ends of the woven headband using the yarn tails. Tie a slip knot using all four yarn tails to hold it securely.
11. Trim the excess yarn and tack it in place with Aleene’s Tacky Glue. Tie both sides to the elastic and your headband is complete and ready to wear.
12. The headband is soft and easy to put on.
13. Girls will have so much fun choosing their own color combo.
14. Change the look by adding a Bowdabra Bow. The Bowdabra bow we used had an alligator clip and attached right onto the woven yarn headband.