School is almost here and pretty soon the kiddies will be bringing home those adorable school photos. We distribute them to our friends, grandparents and relatives and prominently display them on our fridges. What no frame? If you’re like me you have a lot of those magnetic advertising sheets (some of them quite large) that you pick up almost everywhere these days. A few promote dated events like football and baseball schedules. You’re not going to throw them out are you? Actually my hubby did just that and I had to sift through the garbage to retrieve them and give them a new life as magnetic fridge frames and you can too. So let’s get started! For girls add an adorable Mini Bowdabra bow to finish.
You will need:
1. Gather your supplies. Fill a sink or large bowl with warm water. Place the magnetic advertising sheets into the water and soak for a few minutes. Begin peeling off the paper. After you peel the larger pieces of paper off, use a rubbing motion to remove the rest. Dry off the magnetic sheet with paper towels. (The kids will love to help with this step!)
2. Use a ruler and the white colored pencil to measure and cut a 3 ¼” x 5” rectangle from the prepared magnetic sheet.
3. Cut out the frame opening. It is easiest to measure 1” down from the top and the bottom and make a line across. Repeat this step for the sides measuring ½” margin on each side. Cut out the opening.
4. Begin applying washi tape on the frame. Make sure you apply it to the side that had the paper removed, the other side is not magnetic. Overlap just a bit and fold to the back. Smooth with your fingers. Apply the washi tape to the entire frame. Optional: After you have covered the front of the frame you may decide you want to finish your frame by covering the back of it. When covering the back cut the overlap flush with the edges.
Fold excess to the back
When covering the back trim to the edge
5. Make a Bowdabra bow to embellish. Cut an 12-inch piece of Bowdabra gold bow wire fold in half and place in the Mini Bowdabra bow maker. You will have a loop at one end and two pieces of wire at the other end.
6. Cut a piece of 3/8” wide ribbon in your color choice. Place the ribbon into the Mini Bowdabra to create a 1 1/2” tail. Next, fold the ribbon to form a loop at the 1 1/2” mark.
7. Fold a matching loop on the other side at the 1 1/2 inch mark.
8. Fold two more loops and end with a tail.
9. Use the wand to push down the bow. Thread the two loose ends through the loop and pull tight. Remove the bow and trim the ends.
10. Use a hot glue gun and glue sticks to attach the bow to the top center. Add a rhinestone or cabochon to finish.
11. Add a school picture to your homemade magnet frame. Give as a gift to friends, family, and grandparents!