This tutorial combines two of my daughter’s favorite things: paper dolls and origami. We worked on the tutorial together and we are both so thrilled with the results. You can use the dolls for pretend play, party decorations, or even add Bowdabra Bow Wire and use them as ornaments.
We folded origami paper to make the clothes for each kimono doll, along with using bamboo skewers for the body, and buttons for the face. We finished each doll with satin Mini Bowdabra Bow.
Materials Needed for one doll:
1. Begin by gathering all the supplies.
2. Next, to make the collar for the kimono doll begin with two solid color papers 5cm x 5cm. Fold the paper in half to create two triangles. Add a line of glue on one and place the other triangle on top. Cut a bamboo skewer 2″ long, glue it to the center of the triangle. Fold the corners in of the first paper. Fold the corners in of the second paper. Place a small dab of glue to hold the paper in place.
3. Follow the instructions to make more collars.
4. Next, to make the clothes begin with one sheet of 10cm by 10cm paper and fold the paper in half to form a triangle. Fold the corners in on each side. Next, fold the bottom point in. Next, take a solid 4cm by 4cm paper and fold the edges in like you were making an envelope. Lastly fold the corners in. Insert the solid paper into the bottom of the kimono.
5. Glue a button onto the ends of the bamboo skewer leave a small tip of the skewer showing to glue a bow to it later. Place the small doll into the kimono.
6. Glue it all in place.
7. Follow the instructions to make several.
8. To make small bows for the dolls begin by placing the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler (metric side) onto the Mini Bowdabra. Cut 12″ of Bowdabra Bow Wire and fold it in half, place the wire into the Mini Bowdabra.
9. Cut the end of the ribbon at an angle and place it at the 2.5cm mark.
10. Fold a small loop at the 2cm mark.
11. Fold a matching loop on the others side.
12. Because it is such a small bow don’t cut the tail until the bow is complete. Instead first scrunch down with the Mini Bowdabra Wand. Next, thread the two wire ends through the loop.
13. Pull the wire tightly.
14. Remove the bow from the Mini Bowdabra and bring it around and knot it on the back. Trim the tail at an angle.
15. Fluff the bow, trim excess wire, and cover the wire with a small piece of ribbon.
16. Follow the instructions to make additional bows.
17. Glue the bows to the bamboo skewer tip and your dolls are complete.