Bowdabra continues our dress up your pet week with this quick and easy tutorial. While I don’t like to force my doggies to wear uncomfortable cutesy clothing, I think they enjoy wearing a fancier collar once in a while. What could be fancier than a black tie event? Use the Mini Bowdabra bow maker to make a perfect bow tie in seconds! National dress up your pet day isn’t just for dogs though. Dress up your horse, cat, mice, or whatever sort of pets you have and be sure to take some photos. For more information check out National dress your pet up day.
Materials needed for a small collar:
- Plain collar to fit your dog
- Two white or two black buttons
- 7/8” wide black wired ribbon
- Mini Bowdabra bow maker with ruler
- Needle and thread or Glue gun and glue sticks
- Fold the felt in half and cut into a curved shape leaving the top edge straight. Open the fold and trim it necessary to make a U shape. Mine is for an 11 lb. terrier and its 4 inches across the top edge. Make it wide enough to fit on the chest area of your dog. (For larger dogs you will need to make it a little bigger)
- Once you have your chest shirt piece ready either sew or glue on two buttons down the center.
- Attach the shirt piece onto the collar closer to the buckle side. You can check the fit on your dog to make sure that the decorative part of the collar in on the center of the chest when you buckle it.
- Cut an 18-inch piece of Bowdabra bow wire. Fold in half and insert in the Mini Bowdabra bow maker. You will have a loop on one side and two pieces of wire on the other.
- Cut a piece of 7/8” wide black ribbon 7 ½” long. Insert in the bowmaker. Make a loop at the 1 ¼” line. Make a matching loop on the other side. Scrunch down with the wand.
- Insert the two wire pieces through the loop while the bow is still in the bow maker and pull tight. Remove the bow and tie a knot in the back. Fluff the loops and cut off the excess wire and ribbon.
- Cut a small piece of 1/8” wide black ribbon. Glue around the center of the bow. Attach the bow to the center of the shirt piece on the collar with hot glue or optionally sew it on.
To make the girl dress collar simply substitute white 7/8” wide ribbon for the black. Use faux pearl buttons for the front and glue on a strip of white lace trim to the upper part of the collar Attach a length of string pearls around the center of the bow gluing to secure.
Girl doggie dress collar
When making collars for larger dogs use wider ribbon for the bow ties.