This DIY Marigold Yarn Pen was made with the Bowdabra Bow Maker
Lots of offices these days have flowerpots filled with sand, stones or aquarium gravel holding flower pens. This yarn pen looks just like a marigold flower and is quick and easy to make. Pens like these don’t seem to walk away as often, but mostly they are pretty. Why use a silk flower like everyone else when Bowdabra shows you how to make a flower pen with yarn leftover from other projects? Make them in all colors, and even multi-colored. The sky and your imagination is the limit. Get a pretty flowerpot, fill it with aquarium gravel, sand or rocks and your pens are ready to adorn your desk. And don’t forget about Mom’s day coming up soon. These yarn pens are so quick, easy and economical you will want to make some to give as gifts! March is National Craft month so let’s get crafting!
- Bowdabra Bow Maker
- Bowdabra Bow wire
- Leftover orange yarn (Or any color you desire)
- Three little bunches of stamens
- Silk leaf cut off from leftover flowers
- Floral stem tape
- Clear tape
- Stick pen
- Flower pot filled with rocks or gravel
- Gather your supplies.
- Cut an 18-inch piece of Bowdabra Bow Wire and fold in half. Insert into the Bowdabra bow maker. You will have loop at one end and two pieces of wire at the other. Fold under the bow maker so that it stays out of the way.
- Insert the leaf piece into the Bowdabra.
- Bunch the stamens together and insert into the bow maker with the wire longer on one side.
- Insert the yarn into the bow maker. Begin making yarn loops about l ½”. Continue looping the yarn until you have 50 loops on each side. You don’t have to be exact with the loops because you will be trimming them later.
- Scrunch down with the Bowdabra wand. Insert the two loose ends of wire through the loop end and pull tight while the flower is still in the bow maker. Bring the wire around to the back and tie a knot. Bend the wires of the stamen ends, which will be the stem of your flower. Arrange the leaves at the back of the flower and clip all the loops. Fluff up your flower and trim it as desired.
- Using the stamen wires tape them to the top of a stick pen.
- Begin at the base of the flower and using floral stem tape twist onto the pen working your way to the tip. Floral tape sticks to itself. Arrange your flower and trim off any excess yarn. Insert into a flowerpot filled with aquarium gravel or stones.
Do you have the Bowdabra Bow Maker to make this DIY Marigold Yarn Pen?
Visit Crystal at Make it easy crafts for more of her quick and easy craft tutorials and recipes.