Celebrate Mother’s Day by turning loving memories into a classic handmade gift using ribbon and bows.
I have an old picture of my aunts I want to gift to my niece, Patricia, this coming Mother’s Day. I think she will be the one to help carry on our family history through memorabilia. I found the picture in a loose pile of family photos I inherited from my parents. It needed a frame so what better way than to make something handcrafted with ribbons and bows.
I picked up a 5×7 unfinished frame and 3/8″ ribbon at Michaels – just the sizes I needed for this project. And using my Mini Bowdabra to make cute little bows as a finishing touch, I knew the final piece would be perfect for gift-giving for Mother’s Day!
Besides a frame, you will need:
3/8″ satin ribbon
Mini Bowdabra with Ruler
Bowdabra bow wire
1. Start by laying out your ribbon strips by covering one side of the frame in a desired color pattern at the inside edge, cutting enough to wrap around to the back and tape together. Next, at the inside edge of the frame, begin weaving the ribbon over and under each ribbon, alternating the ribbon as you weave. Secure the ends with tape on the back of the frame, cutting off any excess.
2. Continue placing and weaving ribbon strips, keeping the same color pattern on each corner section of the frame.
3. Once the longer ribbon strips are woven, shorter strips of ribbon should be placed in the same color pattern and woven on the shorter sides of the frame. For this, I laid out the ribbon strips in the color pattern, then cut them in half and then weaved the ribbon over and under, one side at a time.
4. Next, do the shorter sides of the frame, the same as before, securing each strip with tape.
5. Once finish, check the woven ribbon strips to make sure they are straight on the front. For a neater look, the back can be covered by gluing on a piece of cardboard or fabric slightly smaller than the size of the frame but this optional.
. . . and then make a few cute bows using your Mini Bowdabra!
I know my niece will truly cherish this gift!
Have fun this Mother’s Day creating mementos of those special occasions using ribbon and your Mini Bowdabra!
Oh, btw! Save those ribbon scraps to make a Spikey Bow like this:
Be sure and visit Bowdabra designer Gail’s blog Purple hues and me to see more of her awesome creations!