It’s that time of year for thinking of cute ideas for back to school wear. I found t-shirt at a fabric store on sale, 4 for $10! Altering t shirts is so much fun when you’re getting ready to go back to school. Here’s an easy way to dress up one with ribbon & bows using your Mini Bowdabra! It’s so versatile that you can switch out different ribbon and bows for a totally new look!
To get started, you will need:
- Ribbon – 4 yds. 1 1/2″ wide
- Chalk/pen fabric marker
- Craft knife
- Masking tape
- Safety pins or needle/thread for tacking
- Mini Bowdabra
- Bowdabra wire
- Hot glue
1. Lay your t shirt on a flat surface and apply masking tape starting under the sleeves and straight across the front.
2. Using a ruler and marker, make vertical lines at 1 inch intervals the width of your ribbon (in this case, 1 1/2″) on tape.
3. Carefully cut the lines on the tape through both layers of the t shirt.
4. Weave ribbon through slits, beginning and ending in front where you want to place bows. Straighten and adjust ribbon for a smooth fit. Tack or pin ends together.
To Make Bows:
Cut 15″ of Bowdabra wire, fold in half and place into the Bowdabra, tucking ends under.
Insert dovetailed ribbon into Mini Bowdabra.
Cut 12 1/2″ of ribbon, bringing ends together overlapping, forming left and right loops and insert into Mini Bowdabra.
Scrunch ribbon down with the Bowdabra wand.
Push wire ends through loop, pulling wire tightly.
Remove bow and tie wires to the back.
Make a finishing ribbon by cutting a small piece of ribbon 4 inches long and fold into three parts.
Place a drop of glue along back of wire and press folded finishing ribbon on glue. Wrap ribbon around front and to back securing with additional glue. Cut off excess and seal ends.
Pin or tack bows onto t shirt. This makes the ribbon and bow easily removable to switch out to other colors and prints or to wash.
Super cute, simple and easy to do that only costs a few dollars to make.
Happy Crafting, Gail!
Visit Bowdabra designer Gail at her blog Purple Hues and Me for more of her awesome creative projects!