Wondering what to get Mom this year? The perfect gift sometimes turns out to be a gift card but sometimes they seem a little impersonal. So why not make an adorable pop up gift cardholder you make especially for her and present it in style?
Mother’s Day is right around the corner and what do you get the mom who has everything. Maybe you’ve given your mom one too many potted plants or coffee mugs. And seriously how many “Best Mom” T-shirts can one woman have?
There are so many choices for gift cards. Could she use a spa day? Would she like some new duds at her favorite store? Maybe dinner and movie would fit the bill? You can find a gift card for almost anything these days.
Make this Mother’s Day pop up gift cardholder in minutes with things you already have on hand. Make a pretty ribbon loop with a Bowdabra bow attached to hold your card closed. Remove the ribbon closure and the gift card pops up!
- Cardstock, solid color
- Scrapbook decorative print, shiny or sparkle
- 5/8” wide sparkle grosgrain ribbon
- Bowdabra bow wire
- Disappearing marker
- Bowdabra mini bow maker
- Hair bow tool and ruler
- Stylus for scoring (You an use a Bar-B-Q skewer in a pinch)
- Glue stick for paper
- Tacky craft glue
- Scissors or paper cutter
- X-acto, craft knife or tiny pointed scissors
- Cabochon or rhinestone
- Cut a piece of solid colored cardstock 4” x 9 ¾”.
- Working with the piece of cardstock vertically, measure and mark from the top down 2”, 5”, 6”, and 7” (See photo)
- Using the ruler as a guide score all the lines. Fold them and run your finger over the creases. On the 6th and 7th line down you will fold in the opposite direction. When you fold into a card you can see where the pop up will be located.
- From the decorative scrapbook paper, cut two 4” x 1 ¾” pieces, four, 4” x 2¾” pieces and two 4” x ¾” pieces.
- Using the glue stick attach the pieces to the corresponding sized sections of the card in between the folds. Line up the scrapbook paper evenly when gluing.
- In the center section and shaping it like a mountain, use small scissors or craft knife to cut a slit the size of the gift card. Glue the sides only using tacky glue and let dry. (See photo) Use a clothespin to hold together until completely dry.
- Make the ribbon closure. Cut a piece of 5/8” wide grosgrain ribbon 9 ¼” long. Make sure it fits around your card. Burn the ends with the lighter to keep it from fraying. Glue the ends together with the hot glue gun. Set aside.
- Cut an 18” piece of Bowdabra bow wire, fold in half and place in the Mini Bowdabra. You will have a loop at one side and two loose wires at the other.
- Cut a 12-inch piece of grosgrain ribbon. Fold in half to find the center and insert into the Bowdabra. Bring the right end over and insert the tail end into the Bowdabra.
- Bring the other tail end over the first one forming an X and insert the end in the Bowdabra.
- Insert the ribbon center into the Bowdabra.
- Scrunch down with the Bowdabra wand.
- Insert the two loose wires through the loop and pull tight while the bow is still in the Bowdabra.
- Remove from the Bowdabra, separate the wires and tie a knot in the back.
- Using a glue gun attach the bow to the area where you glued the ribbon closure together with some more hot glue. Curl the excess wire around a pencil into a curl if desired or cut off. For the finishing touch glue on a cabochon or rhinestone in the center of the bow.
- Insert your gift card in the pocket inside the card. Slide the ribbon closure on the card to secure. Slide it off and open it and the card pops up!
Don’t stop here! Personalize and make this pop up gift cardholder for everyone and every gift giving occasion on your list.