Nuptial party season is upon us and planning and preparations are a must. Creating a pretty bridal shower party favor using a flexible chopping mat is quite unusual. What caught my eye on the packaging said “for crafts,” too. The material provides a light and airy look for this adorable favor! Dress it up with ribbon & bows to add the festive touch you’ve been looking for!
Flexible Chopping Mat – 11″x14″ (Dollar Tree)
Loctite Stik’nSeal Outdoor Adhesive
Clothespins or clips
Mini Bowdabra with hair bow tool and ruler
Ribbon – 2″ wide
Begin by cutting out a 12 1/2″x2″ wide strip from the mat. This will be the base.
Glue the ends of the strip together using Loctite Stik’n Seal. Secure with clothespins until dry. This adhesive has a quick grab and will set within 10 minutes.
Next, cut out three 1/2″x14″ strips. Glue the ends of one strip to the sides of the base. Run a line of adhesive around the bottom edge of base and press down onto the mat. Hold in place for a few minutes and let dry overnight.
Once the adhesive is dry, cut off excess mat around base and glue on the remaining two strips, crisscrossing at the top center.
Cut a 12 1/2″ piece of ribbon and glue on around base. Add trimmed ribbon to the top using glue dots.
To make a Twist and Fold Bowdabra bow to place on top:
1. Cut an 18″ piece of Bowdabra bow wire, fold in half and place into the Mini Bowdabra. You’ll have a loop on one end and two loose pieces at the other end.
2. Place the ribbon right side up into the center of the Mini Bowdabra leaving a short tail. Fold and twist the ribbon as you are placing it into the Mini Bowdabra.
3. To make your first loop, fold, twist, and make a crease in the ribbon and press into the Mini Bowdabra.
4. Next, fold and twist the other side at the same width (2″). Continue folding and twisting more loops back and forth. Don’t twist the last loop so that the tail is right side up.
5. Scrunch down the ribbon with the Mini Bowdabra wand.
6. While the bow is still in, thread the two loose ends of the bow wire through the loop at the other end, pulling on the bow tightly.
7. Gently pull the bow out of the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the bow wire and take them around to the back, tying in a knot. Cut off excess bow wire and fluff bow.
Attach bow to the top of the favor with a glue dot.
Enjoy making more and decorating for the party!
Visit Gail at Purple hues and me, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, G+ to see more quick and easy craft tutorials like this bridal shower party favor!
12 thoughts on “Bridal Shower Party Favor DIY”