Did you know you could make a delicious burger without animal protein? Well, it is possible!
Zucchini Lentil Veggie Burger, recipe by Dr. Janet
Go veggie the next time you make burgers.
All you need is a mixture of beans, whole grains, and seeds to make the perfect cholesterol-free burger with heart healthy fats, lean protein, and dietary fiber.
Zero cholesterol recipe of Zucchini Lentil Burgers:
A gluten-free vegan burger made without eggs.
Yield: 6 servings (4 oz burger per serving)
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 cup of cooked lentils
- 2 Tablespoons of sunflower seeds
- 2 Tablespoons of sesame seeds
- 2 Tablespoons of ground flaxseed
- 1 Tablespoon of chia seeds
- ¼ cup of rolled oats, processed to a flour consistency
- 2 Tablespoons of BBQ sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of ground ginger
- 1 Tablespoon of ground mustard
- 1 Tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon of dried onion flakes
- 1 tsp of red pepper flakes
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- In a food processor, mince the zucchini. Pour processed zucchini in paper towels and squeeze out the water into the sink.
- In a large bowl, add the zucchini, sautéed mixture, and the rest of the burger ingredients.
- Mix the ingredients together. Use ½ of the mixture to form 6 burger patties.
- Place burger patties on a large skillet greased with olive oil.
- Cook veggie burgers on medium heat until both sides of the burger are golden brown (flip burgers every 5 minutes for about 20-30 minutes).
- Serve veggie burgers on a whole wheat burger bun/English muffin OR on a bed of leafy greens.
- Don’t forget your burger fixings such as a slice of tomato, onion, pepper and heart healthy spreads (hummus, pesto, or guacamole).
Nutrition Information Per Serving:
Calories: 171 kcal
Fat: 6 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Dietary Fiber: 7 g
Protein: 8 g
Sodium: 53 mg
Read More about Dr.Janet