This week Dinner easy is featuring a yummy orzo recipe by guest blogger Karyl Henry. She says, “Orzo with onions, garlic, and peppers is a colorful, flavorful dish that is great for a meatless meal or as a side dish with any type of protein.” How can you go wrong?
If you’ve never tried orzo you don’t know what you are missing. Orzo at first glance resembles a thicker cut of rice. In reality it is rice shaped pasta. Once you use it, you will be hooked!
Be sure to visit our guest blogger this week at her blog Karyl’s Kuliary Krusade for more of her delicious recipes, restaurant reviews and so much more.
Orzo with onions, garlic and peppers
- 4 ounces orzo
- 1 Tablespoon pine nuts
- 1/2 cup each, red, yellow, and green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup large onion, diced
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter or margarine (I use Smart Balance)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook orzo according to recipe directions in a pot of boiling salted water.
- Add pine nuts to a large cold skillet. Turn the heat to medium-low and toast pine nuts till they are golden brown. Watch carefully as pine nuts burn easily.
- Add margarine and olive oil to same skillet. Then, turn heat to medium.
- When the butter has melted, add onions and cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add wine; turn heat to medium-high and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add bell peppers and salt and pepper.
- Sauté peppers until tender-crisp.
- Drain orzo and add to skillet. Toss with pine nuts, portion and serve.
Sit back and enjoy the complements! Come back each week to Bowdabra blog for more dinner easy posts like this yummy orzo recipe.