This week we are featuring a delicious green bean, mushroom farro salad from guest blogger, Karyl at Karyl’s Kuliary Krusade.
This sweet and savory recipe works great as a side dish or is equally delicious for lunch or a healthy main dish. And it is such a versatile recipe for all tastes and diets. You can make it vegan or add chicken or if you choose.
Visit Karyl at Karyl’s Kulinary Krusade to read more about Karyl’s process in creating this recipe for Green bean, mushroom farro salad and much more!
Green bean, mushroom farro salad
- 1 cup vegetable broth (homemade is best, but boxed will work as well)
- 1/2 cup farro
- 4 ounces mushrooms, quartered (I use baby portabello)
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 pound asparagus spears, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup yellow onions, sliced 1/4″ – 1/2″ thick
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cloves roasted garlic
- 1 Tbsp margarine or butter (I use Smart Balance spread)
- 1 Tbsp Canola or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp slivered almonds
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup feta, goat or blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Melt margarine or butter in saute pan over medium-low heat. Add onions and a pinch of salt. Cook slowly, stirring every 5 minutes, until onions are golden. Remove and set aside
- In same saute pan, add slivered almonds and toast until they become golden brown. Do not allow them to burn. Remove and set aside
- In saucepan over medium heat, add dry farro and toast for a few minutes, until nutty
- Add broth, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until farro is al dente, approximately 20 minutes
- Add cranberries to farro for the last 5 minutes of cooking
- Add roasted garlic to farro for last minute of cooking
- Toss the mushrooms, asparagus and green beans in the oil, thyme, salt and pepper and place them on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast until they begin to caramelize, approximately 20 minutes
- Season chicken with salt & pepper, and grill in grill pan until no longer pink
- Add roasted vegetables, onions, farro and chicken to large bowl, and combine thoroughly
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar