With Father’s Day, Flag Day, and the 4th of July right around the corner why not make a fun adjustable patriotic bow tie? This adjustable patriotic bow tie is super easy since there is no sewing involved. I’ve used my glue gun in lieu of needle and thread to attach everything! I’ve made the adjustable strap to fit up to an 18” neck, but it is adjustable to make it smaller.
And of course using the Bowdabra makes it super easy to make the adjustable bow tie bow. I’ve used wired ribbon but you can easily substitute any firm body ribbon. You can make these bow ties in any color to fit your moods or for parties and other fun events.
- Bowdabra bow maker and hair tool and ruler attachment
- Bowdabra bow wire
- Bow tie hardware (I got mine for less than 2 dollars at Hobby Lobby)
- 2 ½ wide patriotic ribbon
- 5/8” wide grosgrain ribbon to match
- Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks (You can if you desire substitute needle and thread to put together the adjustable strap and to attach the bow to the strap)
Adjustable patriotic bow tie
- First, cut a piece of Bowdabra bow wire 24 inches long, fold it in half and insert into the Bowdabra. You will have a loop on one side and two loose wires on the other. This will allow you to make a slip know when you are ready to take out your bow.
- Cut a piece of 5/8” grosgrain ribbon 29” long and use lighter to burn the edges to prevent fraying. Set aside.
- Next, cut a 24” piece of 2 ½” wide patriotic ribbon and lightly go over the ends with a lighter. Insert the ribbon wrong side up into the Bowdabra. Then make a loop on the other side to the 2” inch mark on the ruler.
- Now since the ribbon has a wrong and right side you will need to twist the ribbon as you insert into the Bowdabra and make a matching bow on the other side. Top bow made.
- Twist and repeat for a second bow ending with a small piece of ribbon in the Bowdabra. Scrunch down with the Bowdabra wand.
Finishing your bow
- Now insert the two loose wires through the loop and pull tightly while the bow is still in the Bowdabra. Separate the wires and remove from the Bowdabra. Turn to the back and tie a knot. Repeat with a second knot. Trim the excess ribbon off the front and back of your bow and cut off the extra bow wire as well.
- Cut a four inch piece of the 2 ½” ribbon, fold and glue to make it the width to fit through the slots of the bow tie hardware. (You may optionally sew if you choose) Set the bow and bow center strip aside while you make your adjustable strap.
- Using the ribbon 5/8” ribbon you cut for the strap follow the instructions on the package to create the adjustable strap. I have included photos to help you visualize it. I have used hot glue to secure the pieces but you can optionally use needle and thread.
- Once you have your strap ready you are ready to add the bow tie. Use a bit hot glue to attach the bow in the center between the eye and the slide.
- Now take the center bow piece and glue from front to the back over the strap. Let dry. You can now adjust the strap to fit from 16” to 18” neck sizes.
Be sure and come back to Bowdabra blog each week for new craft tutorials, video tutorials, and awesome dinner easy recipes!
We hope you enjoyed this bow making tutorial from Bowdabra designer Crystal. Visit her at her blog Make it easy crafts, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, G+ , and bloglovin