This week we are featuring a recipe that will be great for fall Labor Day parties and events. These crispy onion straws are such a delicious snack item you will want to make them again and again! This recipe is one of many yummy recipes by Karyl from her website Karyl’s kulinary Krusade. Please visit Karyl and check out all of her awesome recipes and restaurant reviews!
Crispy onion straws
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon each of onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, chili powder and sea salt
- canola oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, lemon, and paprika. Mix well, and season to taste with salt & pepper. Allow to rest in the fridge until ready to use
- Slice onion into 1/4″ slices using mandoline. Separate onion pieces and place into large bowl. Add buttermilk and rest in the fridge for one hour
- Drain buttermilk from onions
- Add flour, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper and chili powder into the plate and mix well to combine
- Using tongs or a fork, transfer onions in batches into flour mixture. Toss well to combine. Tap off excess flour and transfer to a clean plate.
- Heat oil in large fry pan. Test the oil with a small piece of onion. When onion immediately begins to bubble and raises to the surface, the oil is hot enough
- Add onions in batches to fry pan. Don’t overcrowd the pan, or the onions won’t cook properly
- Watch carefully, as onions will only take about 2 minutes to cook. Remove onions as they finish, and lay on paper towels to drain. Immediately sprinkle with sea salt
- When completely finished, sprinkle with additional paprika, if desired.