Laissez les Bon Temps Rouler!
It’s time to celebrate Mardi Gras and “let the good times roll”! I have created this vibrant Mardi Gras canvas in the gorgeous traditional jewel tones of Mardi Gras, but most noteworthy is my beautiful “Fold & Twist” Bowdabra bow as my focal point.
Supplies you need to re-create this project:
- Bowdabra Mini with Measuring Tool
- Gold Bowdabra Bow Wire – cut to 24″
- Purple, Green and Gold Ribbon, each piece cut to 40″
- Mask Die Cut (from The Robin’s Nest) to use as bow topper
- 12×12 Canvas
- Acrylic Paint (Purple, Green, White, Black)
- Gold Glitter Alpha Stickers
- Diamond Dew Drops (from The Robin’s Nest)
Bright and lively Mardi Gras Canvas
The Step by Step Instructions:
Begin by making your “Fold & Twist” bow. This style bow is perfect when using ribbon that has a “right” and “wrong” side.
- Install the measuring tool on top of Bowdabra Mini
- Next, place your folded Bow Wire across the Bowdabra, tucking the ends under the unit to keep them out of the way while you create your bow
- Layer your 3 ribbon pieces together.
- Lay your layered ribbons RIGHT SIDE UP across the Bowdabra, using the 2-1/2″ mark on the measuring tool as your guide for the width of your bow.
- Twist your ribbon 180 degrees as you press it into the Bowdabra so that the “right side” of the ribbon is on the outside of the bow loop
- Continue folding and twisting back and forth to create as many loops as you want (I have 6 loops on my bow)
- Using your Bowdabra wand, scrunch that ribbon down tight!
- While your bow is still in the Bowdabra, gently pull the ends of your Bow Wire from underneath the unit. Thread the loose ends through the folded loop end and pull tight.
- Pull your bow out of the unit and tie Bow Wire tight. Trim ends.
- Fluff your ribbon loops
- Hot glue embellishment of your choice to the top of the bow (I am using a mask die cut from The Robin’s Nest)
Set bow aside.
Next up, preparing your canvas
- Using purple paint, cover your canvas. Designer tip: Apply paint with a wet wipe in a circular motion. This gives a nice mottled look to your background.
- Apply white paint to bubble wrap and press onto the mardi gras canvas in several places
- Apply green paint to bubble wrap and press onto previously stamped white areas
- With a stamp or stencil, apply a crown or fleur de lis motif randomly on the canvas
- Apply your sentiment in gold glitter letters
- With a hot glue gun, apply your bow adjacent to your sentiment
- As a finishing touch, attach Diamond Dew Drops and sequins to your canvas
Finally, when in doubt – put a bow on it! Thanks for stopping by the blog today!