A Victorian Christmas conjures images of lush fabrics and trims (velvet, lace, satin) soft colors and sparkle. Victorian Christmas decor brings back pleasant memories of holidays past.
In keeping with our “Christmas in July” theme, today I am sharing an easy (and inexpensive) way to create Victorian-themed Christmas decor, starting with your tree ornaments.
What you need:
- Bowdabra Mini with measuring tool
- Bow: Satin, grosgrain, velvet ribbons
- Bowdabra Bow Wire
- Embellishment for Accent (I am using a button)
- Ornament: Clear glass or plastic ornament (big box craft store or Walmart)
- Ornament Fill: Lace, faux pearls, feathers
- Wrap: Tulle
- Always start with at least 18″ of Bowdabra Bow Wire folded in half and placed across the Bowdabra , tucking the ends under the unit to keep them out of the way while you work
- Use the “fold and twist” method with ribbons and trims that have a “right” and “wrong” side
- I used 2 folds with my blue velvet ribbon
- Add a second layer/color of ribbon – I found some great “Merry Christmas” ribbon on clearance!
- Scrunch and push down with the Bowdabra wand.
- Once your bow is done, pull Bowdabra wire out from under the unit, put the cut ends through the fold and pull tight. Knot – leave long ends for now.
Let’s finish our ornament
- Fill your ornament with Victorian elements – lace, pearls, feathers, etc. and cap.
- Wrap ornament with a single layer of white tulle – tie your bow using the Bowdabra Bow Wire to secure.
- Trim tulle
- Add embellishment to center of bow- I have used a clear faceted button from Stampin Up with embroidery floss knotted at the center
- Use a hot glue gun to attach your embellishment to bow.
Notes for creating Victorian inspired Christmas Tree decor:
- Replace traditional red and green for soft hues of mauve, pale blue or celery (choose ONE as a dominant color scheme)
- LOTS of WHITE lights
- Large, oversized ornaments
- Icicles instead of garland
- Strings of beads and gilded ribbon
Continue your Victorian vibe BEYOND the tree:
- Wrap gifts in THICK, SHINY paper with OVER-SIZED BOWS
- Decor should include ANGELS, FATHER CHRISTMAS, stockings from lush fabrics and over-the-top floral arrangements with gold and silver accents!
Thanks for stopping by the blog today – hope you are inspired to get a jump on your Christmas crafts!