Yes, you read correctly—we’re going to make a festive summer wreath using napkins!! Nothing says summer like watermelon, so let’s feature them in this summer wreath.
Here are the supplies you’ll need
- 60″ length 5/8″ green ribbon
- 48″ length 5/8″ green ribbon
- 10 paper dinner napkins
- 1 green foam floral wreath
- Skewer, knitting needle, or pencil
- 20″ length Bowdabra bow wire
- 10″ length Bowdabra bow wire
- Bowdabra Bow Making & Design Tool
Let’s make the Summer Wreath:
- The napkins I used were round, but if you’re using square ones you can trim the corners to create your own round napkins.
- Fold the 20″ length of bow wire in half and place it in the Bowdabra. You can tuck the wire ends under the Bowdabra so they are out of the way.
- Scrunch the first napkin into the Bowdabra with the design side facing up.
- Continue adding eight more napkins.
- Compress the napkins with the Bowdabra wand.
- With the napkins still in the Bowdabra, pass the ends of the bow wire through the loop, and tighten. Tie a secure knot on the back of the bow, leaving the wire ends long.
- To form the center of the bow, fold a napkin in half with the design sides together.
- Pleat the half-circle forming a fan shape.
- Secure with the 10″ length of bow wire.
- Add to the center of the napkin bow with the wire ends from the fan.
Finishing your wreath
- Fluff the bow.
- Spiral wrap the 60″ length of green ribbon around the floral wreath to simulate watermelon rind.
- Attach napkin bow to the wreath using bow wires.
- Make the corkscrew ribbons for the watermelon tendrils using the 48″ length of green ribbon:
- Spiral the ribbons around a large knitting needle or ¼” dowel rod.
- Secure the ribbon ends with pinch clothespins.
- Mist lightly with water.
- Arrange on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven at 250° F for 20 minutes.
- After the ribbons are cool, gently slide off the knitting needle or dowel.
- Cut the corkscrew ribbons in thirds. Attach to the foam floral wreath with pins.
Enjoy your watermelon summer wreath.
If you enjoyed making the watermelon summer wreath visit the Bowdabra blog where you will find hundreds of tutorials like this one. And like us on Facebook. Each Monday at 4:00 p.m. PST, 5:00 p.m. MST, 6:00 p.m. CST, and 7:00 p.m. EST, Bowdabra hosts Facebook live. Make something new and you could be the next viewer to win a surprise gift!