Create the perfect Mother’s Day card featuring a string art heart. Best of all, there is no wrong way to do the heart!! Each card is unique.
These are the only supplies you’ll need:
- One 8½” x 11″ sheet cardstock (I’ve used white, but any color will work)
- 48″ yarn, twine, embroidery floss, narrow ribbon, etc.
- Scotch tape
- Yarn needle (if you don’t have one, there are directions below to do the card without one)
- Heart card template
Let’s make the card:
- Print the heart card template on cardstock. The template has two cards. Cut the cards apart on the solid line, and fold them on the dashed line. Punch out the holes for the heart.
- Thread the yarn into the needle. If you don’t have a yarn needle, wrap one end of the yarn with Scotch tape or coat the end of the yarn with nail polish to form a stiff end to facilitate sewing. Depending on the young artists, they may find it easier to handle the yarn if it is cut into shorter lengths.
- Begin by sewing the yarn from the inside to the outside, leaving a short tail on the inside of the card. Secure this tail in place with a piece of tape.
- Now, just go to town sewing in one hole and out another. There is no particular order. There is no wrong way to do the heart.
- If you need to add another length of yarn, secure the end of the first length on the inside of the card with tape, and begin another length the same way you did in Step 3.
- When you are finished with the heart, secure the end of yarn on the inside of the card with tape.
- Optionally, the young artist can decorate the inside of the card or add a message.