Find or make your child’s outfit for their birthday party and make a gorgeous bow to match it perfectly! Find the ribbon and tulle that match just right and start the fun. This boutique style bow was inspired by a 2-year old birthday onesie and tutu. The materials used were tulle and ribbon. Visit the end of the post for a Bonus Note of helpful tips for designing a birthday outfit.
To make this bow you will need:
· Mini Bowdabra
· Hair Bow Tool and Ruler
· Bowdabra Bow Wire
· 7 colors of Tulle (6 inch spool), pre-cut 5 inches long
· 1.5” Wire Edged Ribbon
· 2 different pieces of colored 7/8” Grosgrain Ribbon, pre-cut and dove-tailed to 4 ½ inches
· 2 different pieces of 1/8” Sheer Polka Dot Ribbon, pre-cut and dove-tailed to 4 ½ inches
· 7/8” Birthday pattern ribbon (I used cupcakes)
· Alligator Clip
· Hot Glue
1. Start by finding the ribbon and tulle that match the outfit perfectly.
2. Next, place the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler on top of the Mini Bowdabra. Cut a piece of 18”³ Bowdabra Bow Wire, fold it in half and place it into the Mini Bowdabra.
3. Then, place (in random order) each of the 7 pre-cut colored pieces of tulle in Mini Bowdabra. Scrunch with Mini Bowdabra wand.
4. Then following the instructions on the Interactive CD, that comes with the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler, make 4” wide boutique bow using 1.5” Wire Edge Ribbon. Leave tails. Scrunch the bow down with the Mini Bowdabra Wand.
5. Place pre-cut pieces of 2 colors 7/8” grosgrain (dove-tailed), and 2 colors of 1/8” polka dot (dove-tailed) in bowdabra . Place in the order listed previously. Scrunch the bow down with the Mini Bowdabra Wand.
6. Then following the instructions on the Interactive CD, that comes with the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler, make 3” wide boutique bow using 7/8” Birthday Pattern Ribbon. Leave tails. Scrunch with the Mini Bowdabra Wand.
7. While the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra, thread the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end. Pull the Bowdabra Bow Wire tightly while the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra.
8. Gently pull the bow out of the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire and bring them around to the back of the bow. To tie off the bow, pinch the Bowdabra Bow Wire securely against the bow and double knot. Trim off extra wire.
9. Trim all tails of the extra ribbon.
10. Trim tulle on each side in rounded motion so it hangs out the desired amount from the edge of the bow.
11. Tie a loose knot with the same color of 1.5” wire edge ribbon used on the 4” wide bow. Set aside.
12. Prepare bow to have knot glued on by positioning ribbon and tulle exactly where you want it and hold it with one hand. With the other hand do a glue dab on the top and both sides of the bow.
13. Place prepared knot over middle and side of bow and press.
14. Trim one side of knot and glue to back of bow. Glue the other side to back of bow and trim extra ribbon and tulle.
15. Hold alligator clip open (to ensure clip not getting glue on the inside) and glue top of it. Then press to back of bow. (Please note: You can line the clip with ribbon, but I prefer not to. The clip stays in hair better without being lined and the clip does not show in this particular bow)
16. Your bow is ready to wear and make your little ones birthday extra special!
BONUS NOTE: I cut the number ”œ2” out of fabric and used iron on appliquÃ© to put it on the onesie. Then I added rhinetones to glam it up. This is an easy way to make an inexpensive and adorable birthday outfit!