Have you heard, bow ties are the hot new trend for 2012? According to Snap! bows ties are a 2012 DIY trend that we can expect to see lots of on the red carpet and runways. Bowdabra is excited because our Mini Bowdabra with Hair Bow Tool and Ruler makes bow ties so simply! – Love when fashion accessories can be simple to make!
In honor of the bow tie trend, today’s tutorial is how to make bow tie shoe clips. I am using clip on earring hardware to make the shoe clips. I had found some clip on earring hardware on clearance and I thought they would be perfect for shoe clips. I have never come across shoe clip hardware at my local craft store but with a quick search on the Internet I was able to find lots of places to order them. If you would prefer shoe clips instead of clip on earrings the hardware is out there it is just not what I had on hand.
1. Begin by placing the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler onto the Mini Bowdabra. Cut a piece of Bowdabra Bow Wire 18? long, fold it in half and place it into the Mini Bowdabra.
2. Gather the materials that you will need for this project. Cut two ribbon strands 17.5cms long. Seal the ends with clear nail polish to keep the ribbon from fraying. Each bow tie will be attached to a clip on earring. I am reversing the earrings and putting the foam side inside of the shoe. If your earring has an adhesive foam, cover it will soft felt. Lastly, choose buttons to coordinate with your ribbon and shoes. The buttons are used to hide the wire.
3. To make the bow tie place the end of the ribbon into the Mini Bowdabra.
4. Next, place the other end of the ribbon into the Mini Bowdabra. You will have a large loop that is formed over the Mini Bowdabra towers.
5. Pinch the ribbon to form a crease and press it into the Mini Bowdabra. Slide the ribbon until each loop is at the 3cm mark.
6. Scrunch down with the Mini Bowdabra bow.
7. While the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra, thread the two loose ends of the Mini Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end.
8. Pull the Bowdabra Bow Wire tightly while the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra.
9. Gently pull the bow out of the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire and bring them around to the back of the bow and knot.
10. Turn the bow over and fluff.
11. Using the Bowdabra Bow Wire attach your button and then bring the Bowdabra Bow Wire back around and knot it again.
12. Attach the Bowdabra Wire to the clip on earrings. I chose to attach the clip backwards because I felt like the little foam was more comfortable in my shoes and the wire attached easily to the clip on earrings hardware. I also love that no hot glue was needed so that I don’t have to worry about the bow coming unglued and f
ollowing off. Trim away excess wire.
13. Clip the bow tie to your favorite pair of dress shoes.
14. Use the Mini Bowdabra and Hair Bow Tool & Ruler to make an exact matching bow for the other shoe.