Plastic barrette covers for metal barrettes can be lots of fun! Plastic barrette covers make it easy to create little tiny works of art for your hair. Best of all you are not limited to just a bow but can add little rhinestones and other embellishments.
Hair Bow Tool & Ruler
Oval 3.5 Plastic Barrette Cover
2 French Clip
1.5″ Red Grosgrain
1.5″ Sheer Polka Dot
3/8″ White Grosgrain
Fabric Marker (optional)
Hot Glue Gun
1. Begin by placing the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler onto the Mini Bowdabra. Cut a piece of 18? Bowdabra Bow Wire fold it in half and place it into the Mini Bowdabra.
2. Cut two strands of ribbon (sheer and grosgrain) 10? to 10.5? long. Seal the ends of ribbon with clear nail polish.
3. Place the sheer ribbon on top of the grosgrain and line the ends of the ribbon up.
4. Press the ends of the ribbon into the Mini Bowdabra.
5. Bring the ribbon around and press the other end into the Mini Bowdabra tower.
6. With both ends into the Mini Bowdabra you will have one big loop.
7. To create the bow tie make a crease in the center and press it into the Mini Bowdabra.
8. Using the ruler as your guide move the loops so that they are both at the 2? mark.
9. Scrunch down the ribbon with the Mini Bowdabra Wand.
10. While the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra, thread the two loose ends of the Mini Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end.
11. Pull the Bowdabra Bow Wire tightly while the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra.
12. Gently pull the bow out of the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire and bring them around to the back of the bow and knot.
13. Trim away excess wire. Add a 3/8? white grosgrain ribbon around the center of the bow to hide the wire. Hot glue the ribbon in place.
14. To create the base for the hair bow use a plastic barrette cover. Cover the white plastic with pink felt. Trace the felt so that it is 1? larger than the plastic base. Fold the edges of the felt over and hot glue it into place. Hot glue a large 2? French clip to the back of the barrette cover.
15. Use some leftover 1.5? red grosgrain to make little ribbon hearts. Seal the ends of the hearts with clear nail polish.
16. Hot glue the hearts to the felt lined plastic barrette cover. Optional: Use a fabric pen to add little stitch marks on the hearts to make them look like they are sewn.
17. Hot glue the Bowdabra Bow Tie, rhinestones, and other embellishments to the front of the barrette to complete your Valentine Hair Clip.
For more Valentine craft tutorials click here….
Added to the following link parties:
Momnivore’s Valentine’s Day Link Party
Chic On A Shoestring Decorating