I know you’re not thinking too much about fall and football games in the heat of summer but it won’t be too long before you will be dressing up that pony tail with a cheer bow. You can make your cheer bow in any combination of colors to show your team spirit. And what’s more, you create the entire bow including the hair elastic in the Bowdabra! Leave it plain as a beautiful big bow to highlight your team colors or go one step further and glue on a charm, foam letters or rhinestone to the front to personalize it even more. This is a super kid’s craft too!
- 25 inches of 2 ¼” wide grosgrain ribbon in choice of color
- 7/8” wide grosgrain ribbon in second color
- Elastic hair tie
- Bowdabra mini bow maker with hair bow tool and ruler
- 18” Bowdabra bow wire
- Lighter to keep ends from fraying
- Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
- Gather your supplies. Take an 18” piece of Bowdabra bow wire, fold in half and insert into the bow maker. You will have a loop on one side and two wires on the other.
- Insert the elastic hair tie in the bow maker. Pull the two loose bow wire pieces over the hair tie. This step is necessary so that when you knot it the hair tie will be free to use for your ponytail.
- Fold the ends of your ribbon in half and cut at an angle to dovetail the ends. Run a lighter lightly over the dovetailed ends to keep them from fraying. (You can alternately use clear nail polish if you choose)
- Fold the 25” long piece of ribbon in half to find the center. Pinch to pleat and insert into the bow maker.
- Make a loop to the 3-inch mark of the ruler and insert the tail into the bow maker.
- Make a matching loop on the other side inserting it’s tail into the bow maker as well. Scrunch down with the Bowdabra wand. Insert the two loose wires through the loop and pull tight while the bow is still in the bow maker. Remove from the bow maker turn around to the back and tie a knot. Adjust the bow if necessary.
- Cut a 2 ¾” piece of 7/8” grosgrain ribbon in the second color. Attach with hot glue in the center wrapping around the bow and hair tie. (See photo)
Visit Bowdabra designer Crystal at Make it easy crafts for more easy craft tutorials and recipes
Note: The hair bow tool and ruler is an additional attachment for your mini bow maker