Today’s guest blogger Karyl from Karyl’s Kulinary Krusade brings you a wonderful, healthy and delicious kale, chickpeas and chicken recipe.
Every time Karyl makes this Kale, chickpeas and chicken recipe she wonders why she doesn’t think about making it more often because it is so good. I think we all do that from time to time. We discover a yummy dish, make it and then just put it on the back burner (no pun intended) and forget to make it again until we taste that first yummy bite. And then we wonder why? When you make this tasty dish you won’t forget about how good it is and will be sure to put it on the recipe rotation for years to come.
Be sure to check out Karyl’s Kulinary Krusade for her restaurant reviews and many other scrumptious recipes.
Kale, chickpeas and chicken recipe
- 4 ounces fettuccini
- 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine (I use Smart Balance spread)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth (I use homemade)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 2 cups Kale, ribs removed, rinsed, and chopped into small pieces
- 4 ounces baby Portobello mushrooms, quartered
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Dry chickpeas: Soak overnight in water. When ready to prepare add chickpeas and water to pressure cooker, and cook over medium-high heat for 12-15 minutes. Chickpeas should still have some resistance to the bite. Canned chickpeas. Rinse thoroughly.
- Next, cook fettuccini according to package directions in a pot of salted boiling water.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Grill until chicken is cooked through.
- In large skillet over medium heat, add margarine and 1 Tsp. olive oil.
- When butter melts, add onions and cook until soft and light golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Now add 1 Tbsp. olive oil and sliced garlic. Cook until garlic is golden brown. This will not take very long and the garlic will burn easily, so keep an eye on it.
- Add kale, chickpeas, sundried tomatoes and broth and cook for 10-15 minutes until kale is softened.
- Add mushrooms and reserved onions and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Finally add pasta and grilled chicken and combine all ingredients together. Portion into bowls and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.