This Valentine corkscrew bow could be used on a package, to decorate a home decor item, or as a hair accessory. I’m making it into a special hair bow.
Supplies for the Valentine Corkscrew Bow
- Two 18″ lengths 1½″ patterned satin ribbon; dovetail one end on each length
- Two 18″ lengths 1″ patterned satin ribbon; dovetail one end on each length
- One 36″ length 5/8″ patterned satin ribbon
- Three 4″ lengths 1″ patterned satin ribbon; cut angle on each end
- One 4″ length ½” rhinestone ribbon
- Hot glue
- Covered hair clip
- 18″ length Bowdabra Bow Wire
- Mini Bowdabra Hair Bow Tool and Ruler Kit
All the ribbons used in this bow are from LaRibbons.
Instructions for Making the Corkscrew Bow
- Cut the ribbons to length. Cut dovetails and angles as given. Quickly pass the ribbon ends through a flame since it will seal the ribbon.
- Make the corkscrew ribbon:
- Spiral the 36″ length of ribbon around a large knitting needle or ¼” dowel rod.
- Secure the ribbon ends with pinch clothes pins.
- Mist lightly with water.
- Bake in the oven at 250° F for 20 minutes.
- After the ribbons are cool, gently slide off the knitting needle or dowel, and cut into four equal lengths.
Make the bow
- Fold the bow wire in half and put in the Mini Bowdabra. Tuck the ends of the wire under the Mini Bowdabra to keep them out of the way.
- Place the flat end of one of the 1½” patterned satin ribbon in the Mini Bowdabra face down.
- Bring the tail of the ribbon over the top of the Mini Bowdabra, forming a 3″ loop, and secure in the Mini Bowdabra.
- Repeat for the other length of 1½” patterned satin ribbon of the opposite side of the Mini Bowdabra.
- Repeat Steps 5 and 6 with the lengths of 1″ patterned satin ribbon.
- Layer the three 4″ ribbon spikes in the Mini Bowdabra.
- Layer the four corkscrew ribbons in the Mini Bowdabra.
- Compress the ribbons in the Mini Bowdabra with the wand.
- With the ribbons still in the Mini Bowdabra, pass the wire ends through the loop, tighten, then tie a secure knot.
- Bring the wire ends to the back of the bow and tie a secure knot. In addition leave the wire end uncut for now.
- With one wire end extending to each side, use hot glue to secure one end of the rhinestone ribbon in place on the back of the bow with the wires under it.
- Bring the rhinestone ribbon to the front of the bow and secure in place with hot glue.
- On the back of the bow, hot glue the covered hair clip in place.
- Open the hair clip, pass the rhinestone ribbon through the hair clip, and glue in place. Trim excess. (Note: Omit Steps 15 and 16 if the bow will not be used as a hair accessory.)
- Enjoy your Valentine corkscrew bow!!