With just a few supplies and an empty soup can you can create this clever pen holder for dad’s Father’s Day gift. The Mini Bowdabra makes creating the bow tie easy-peasy.
Here’s the supplies you’ll need:
- Soup or vegetable can
- 9″ length ¾” patterned grosgrain ribbon
- 2″length ¼” patterned grosgrain ribbon
- 3 shirt buttons
- Shirt Pattern for the pen holder
- Hot glue
- 18″ length Bowdabra bow wire
- Mini Bowdabra
Let’s make the Father’s Day Pen Holder:
- We’ll begin with the bow tie. Cut the ribbons to length, and quickly pass the ends through a flame to seal them.
- Fold the bow wire in half and place it in the Mini Bowdabra. You can tuck the wire ends under the Mini Bowdabra so they are out of the way.
- Place one end of the ¾” ribbon face down in the Mini Bowdabra.
- Now, make a loop, give the ribbon a twist, and put in the Mini Bowdabra.
- Make a second loop.
- Compress the ribbon with the Mini Bowdabra wand.
- With the ribbon still in the Mini Bowdabra, pass the ends of the bow wire through the loop, and tighten. Tie a secure knot on the back of the bow, leaving the wire ends long.
- Lay the bow face down on a heat safe surface with the wire ends extending to each side of the bow.
- With a dot of hot glue, tack the ¼” ribbon to the back of the bow. Wrap this narrow ribbon around the front if the bow and hot glue the tail in place on the back of the bow. Trim excess ribbon and the wire ends. Set the bow aside for now.
- Print and cut out the shirt pieces from the pattern.
- Wrap the shirt body piece around the can and glue in place.
- Next, glue the shirt front piece over the seam where the ends of the shirt body meet.
- Glue the collar in place along the top end of the can.
- Glue the shirt buttons and bow tie in place.
- Present to dad on Father’s Day!!